If you want to be a member of Janiac's Unite blog to post pictures of your Dear Jane blocks then please contact either Dawn or myself (Vicki) in the Contact Us Page.

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Hi Janiacs...

First I want to thank Vicki and Dawn for starting Janiac's Unite.  This blog is exactly what I was looking for to inspire me to start my Dear Jane quilt.  I have been collecting civil war fabrics for a couple years now, buying a bundle of fat 1/8s or fat 1/4s as I go.  This weekend I spent a little time organizing my fabrics so they are easily accessible.  
Today, I attempted my very first DJ block, G7, right in the center.  I decided to work from the center so I can attempt to plan the color distribution, we'll see how this goes. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, I quickly learned, these blocks are time suckers, it took me about 2 hours to do this block, I could have been more efficient but I stopped to play with the dog a couple times.. But here it is, my very first DJ block.
I am storing my completed DJ blocks in plastic sleeves in a binder so I can keep track of them.
Now that I have my first block done, I'm hoping I can be a little more productive with these blocks, but it seems like each one will have it's own gotchas and catches.  This quilt certainly is going to be a journey.  But it will be fun doing it with all you Janiac's!!!

7 comments:

Vicki ♥ said...

Love your fabric stash and its a good idea to have it easily got to. I too am keeping my blocks in a folder like you and find it is a neat idea. Only thing is my folder is just a black one and not a pretty one.
Your block looks great too. Hugs Vicki x

Sheila said...

You have done an amazing job on your first block. I too keep mine in a Folder, A lever Arch Archive one.I have them grouped by row sand now have to tie a ribbon around it to keep it closed as i have done 130(ish) blocks and it won't stay closed anymore. I am sashing as i go

Stephanie said...

Thanks Ladies!!! My folder was a clearance item at Target. LOL. Way to go Sheila!!! I can't wait till I've made that kind of progress.

Larissa said...

This block is gorgeous Stephanie - I love the colours you have chosen for it!! Civil War fabrics will look fantastic in this pattern!!!

Stephanie said...

Thanks Larissa.

Elaine said...

Lovely collection of fabrics; I too store my blocks in a folder, I removed the binding of my book and store the page and the blocks in a plastic sleeve.

Dawn said...

lovely...we have made the same block first.. yeah, yours looks so neat
Hugs Dawn x x x